Day One

Yesterday I started my maternity leave after what felt like I was pregnant for 3 years straight. After the first trimester of horrible sickness and complications, during the second trimester I felt like a new woman. I remember thinking to myself that I wanted to go on leave the month before I was due so I could lay around reading, writing and watching Netflix (since I can't fit in my shoes!) It sounded like a grand idea.

But then the third trimester came around and the weight began to add up. I'm a small girl to begin with - I am 4'9 and was only 10 pounds over my ideal weight when I found out I was pregnant. I'm now up 40 pounds in my hips, breasts and belly - unfortunately not enough in my belly so I'm feeling every punch, kick and squiggle in my belly like never before. The usual third trimester symptoms have settled in as well - the swollen feet, the swollen hands, the shortness of breath from her crowding my lungs and the wishing this could be over soon. I also obtained some symptoms that were unexpected - extreme dizziness at random times, heart palpitations that made me feel as though I was having a heart attack, the extreme hot flashes at random times and the need to sit down after walking 4 steps. Work was getting more and more difficult, even with a desk job, but the day I started bleeding again was the day my doctor said enough was enough. Since my job waited until the last possible moment to hire my replacement, he put me on a reduced work schedule with a drop dead date of May 1st. My job sent me off with a baby shower and away on leave I went!

I've been working and supporting myself since I was 18, so this is a new adventure for me. The most I have ever taken off work was 10 days to travel. Now? I will be off work for 6 months! But the time before the baby comes? I don't think it's going to be as much fun as I originally thought back in that lovely second trimester haze. So how is it going?

Day One

On Sunday I was so excited, and a felt a little strange, when Sunday night rolled around and I didn't have that same feeling of dread come over me to indicate that a new work week was looming. Anticipation set in - how many books could I read!? What items could I clean to get ready for baby? What Netflix shows could I get through? My hubby-to-be did not share in my excitement as he had to continue to get ready for the next day. And before we both knew it, the next day was upon us!

As he got ready for work, I got up and showered. I was able to take my time and get ready to meet a couple of actor friends for breakfast. What a great start! And then as I was eating the cramps began to settle in. I'm not a doctor, but I believe it's the cramps that indicate I'm about to get a little bigger. My feet started swelling, as they normally do, only this time my calves also started to hurt. She began to put pressure on my pelvis as I was driving back home and I just barely made it into the house before the gas pressure began as well. Lying on my couch uncomfortably, my joy ebbed bit by bit.

I napped off and on and tried to read some. When I couldn't concentrate, I watched some Netflix. I tried to walk around, but the pain and the pressure combined to make me instantly want to sit down. Oh and here comes the dizziness again! Couldn't forget my old friend! Final analysis? Not the best start to my leave, but I can see how necessary it is. And the breakfast was quite yummy! HTB came home and he let me nap on the couch while he took care of our furry kids. Got some sleep and on to day 2!


Day Two

Rise and shine kids! It's time to start day 2 of my leave. Today's goals? We have a large box of papers to shred that I would like to finish. Do some laundry. Finish the book I started in anticipation of Jen Lancaster's new book coming to me via Amazon. Anything less? Hey it happens. Anything more? All the better. And away I go!


Reading: Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single
Writing: Not too much writing going on still, but starting little by little with you, dear blog - hopefully when I get back into a rhythm 
Shoes: My trusty ole flip-flops as always. Can't fit into anything else and even these are getting too snug. Today? I think I'll go barefoot as I won't be leaving the house much! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Dreams Come True by Rebecca Emin

Review – Holly’s Inbox by Holly Denham (pen name for Bill Hutton Surie)

Royal Day Out: A From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess e-short by Meg Cabot