The Museum of Heartbreak by Meg Leder

Remember that time when your dreams of the future collided with the present day, and you have to reconcile both of them? That moment is captured in The Museum of Heartbreak.

Seventeen-year-old Penelope Marx is at the point in her life where friendships are beginning to change, new relationships are forming, and old friendships may be left behind. Penelope experiences heartbreak for the first time in multiple fashions, and in coming to terms with it develops the Museum of Heartbreak.

The story is told with each chapter showing how a piece of the museum came to be a part of Penelope's heartbreak, one item at a time. It weaves together Penelope's tale and all the players involved.

I first heard of this book in a Buzzfeed article of YA books to read and thought that the idea of it sounded great. After all, who hasn't experienced heartbreak? When I began to read the book, I really liked that an item from the museum was displayed, and it's story shared. I haven't seen that in any other book I have read, and always love finding new ideas. This book really brought me back to that time in my life where reality met my dreams and fantasies. I'm so glad those days are in the past!

What I didn't like though, was that the story was too predictable. Every storyline was told before and feels almost cliche at this point (I won't specify so as to not spoil the story for others). At the end of the book, the story changes tense and goes from Penelope narrating, to Penelope speaking directly to someone. This was confusing, and I expected more to be done with this. It wasn't. So when I read the last line of the book, I found myself saying "that's it?"

If I was a teenager, I could see myself being inspired to create my own museum of heartbreak, although I probably wouldn't share it with anyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Dreams Come True by Rebecca Emin

Royal Day Out: A From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess e-short by Meg Cabot

Missing Out