Sesame Street Live - Microsoft Theater (CA)

Well here is a blog post that I never thought I would write. I remember when I used to write on My Dear Diary (before the days of blogs) and I would write all about my college days. Parties I went to, sorority life and, of course, dating. I always dreamed of settling down and having a family, and now that it is happening I still can't wrap my mind around it!

It's been 10 months and my daughter has fallen in love with Play With Me Sesame. Not Sesame Street - PLAY WITH ME SESAME. Of course she did, because they took it off of Netflix and I can't find it ANYWHERE! There are 5 DVD's that exist of some excerpts of the show. We only own 4 of them that are played on constant rotation. My husband-to-be (HTB) and I can recite each segment by heart. We know which songs stop baby girl short and which characters make her laugh. So color us happy when we heard that Grover and Cookie Monster were going to be at the LA Zoo!

I thought we might get a cute picture of me holding baby girl next to a funny looking blue monster. Imagine our surprise when instead we have pictures of her looking at them in awe, smiling so big and holding her arms out for hugs! She loved them! She clung to Cookie Monster and didn't want to leave. We instantly jumped online and bought tickets to see Sesame Street Live.

"Honey - did you know you can buy a Sunny Seat package and she can meet Elmo and another character?" Ohhh the debate that happened with this simple statement. Do we have the money? I haven't been working and am having trouble finding a job. Could we afford it? Did the experience outweigh the cost given she will only be 10 months old  and won't remember a thing? Sure she loves Elmo on TV but a gigantic Elmo could scar her. Just the show...Sunny Seats...just the show...Sunny Seats. SUNNY SEATS IT IS!

We arrived to the Microsoft Theater about 30 minutes before the time we were told to be there and began speaking with other parents around us. Sure enough, baby girl was one of the youngest in the crowd. Uh oh. How is this going to go? The doors opened and we were ushered into another line to go into a VIP area, because OF COURSE Elmo is VIP! We were brought into the room to stand yet again in another line - only this time it was THE line! Photo ops were set up all over the room and WE WERE READY! And then he walked in. IT'S ELMO! My daughter, who was sitting on my hip, looked up and her eyes got wide. She looked at me then back at Elmo. Yup baby girl - this is happening! Our second character was Abby Cadabby - perfect! She loves Abby's Flying Fairy School! Well at least the theme song then she goes back to playing. But...what's this? A surprise third character?! Out comes THE COUNT! My daughter lost her mind! Her little arms reached out and she began to babble as loud as she could over the shouts of the other kids so Count could hear her. We have a Count doll, and she loves to hold his cape as though it is her blankie (a good substitute when blankie is in the wash!)

Two days prior to SSL, baby girl took her very first unassisted steps. So OF COURSE she had to show off this new skill to Elmo and Abby! We heard a collective "Awwwww" in the room as she slowly stumbled to her first love. Pictures were taken and she just kept looking around at this red monster hugging her close. And on to take pictures with The Count! Oh the love in her eyes couldn't stop! The babbles began! The smile was huge! She didn't want to leave! Another mom told me later she began to cry a bit watching my daughter because her excitement was so pure. It wasn't a parent pushing her kid to take a picture she didn't want to.

Pictures were then taken separately with Abby and Elmo, and then back to The Count again. She walked to him and he counted her steps. She went to hug him but then they were called to the Stage and she had to say goodbye. Money well spent.

We walked inside thinking we were going to be sitting towards the front, only to find that we were in the first row! WHAT?!?!?! How cool is this!?!? As the opening number began, my daughter had her first "I'm just like mom" moment. That's right - I too lost my mind, stood up and screamed as loud as I could when New Kids on the Block hit the stage. She did the same! She held her arms out and babbled again as loud as her little voice could go! And then the characters throughout the show would come down into the audience. Stage mommy took over and would shout out "IT'S ERNIE!" to get the character to look over and come say hi to her. And it worked! Ernie, Zoe, a honker, and again The Count all stopped by to say hi. Zoe took a particular liking to her and made a point to stop by whenever she came down. And then Rosita hit the floor - and kids everywhere went nuts! For her to stop and pat my daughter on her head? It was like she had just met a superstar!

The whole first half of the show was my daughter standing on my legs screaming towards the stage. During the second half it was her sitting on my legs eating her Gerber puffs until Rosita and Zoe came back to her. Then she was back to standing and fangirling all over the place. Once it was over? She rubbed her eyes but babbled away to her dad and I. Best money we ever spent.

Sure she will never remember this moment. Sure, her love for all things Sesame may fade (especially since we don't have cable and we can't find that last Play With Me Sesame DVD or a complete works of all episodes). But her father and I will have these memories of her forever along with the pictures. She will hear the stories and cringe as we tell her boyfriends all about it.

And I will never regret going with those Sunny Seats.

Thank you Sesame Street Live! And thank you to The Count for making my daughter so unbelievably happy, she hasn't put your doll down since (except to let me take this picture). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Dreams Come True by Rebecca Emin

Review – Holly’s Inbox by Holly Denham (pen name for Bill Hutton Surie)

Royal Day Out: A From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess e-short by Meg Cabot