Meditation - Day 1

I started day 1 of my meditation challenge, only to find that I'm not that great at meditation. Practice makes perfect though...right?

My life is always chaotic. From the moment I wake up, until the moment I fall asleep, it is just one loud continuous day. If my life was a movie, it would resemble Groundhogs Day - almost the same thing every day.

I wake up. My husband takes the dogs out to do their business as I jump in the shower. I get ready for work and he wakes up our daughter. As she's eating breakfast I collect all she will need for the day - clothes, blankets, shoes, etc. We all get ready for work intermingled with feeding the dogs and having them follow our every move. Get the dogs settled. Get the kid settled. Off to work we all go.

After a long day of work I leave and pick up my kid, go home, walk the dogs, feed my child, feed my dogs, wrestle my child to stop feeding her food to the dogs, wrestle the dogs to stop eating each others food...then the clean up. 20 minutes of play then it's off to get ready for bed. Somewhere in this time my husband comes home. Wrangle my child to help pick up her toys. Wrestle her toys out of the mouth of our puppy. Get her in the bath. Get her in bed. Make and have dinner with my husband. Watch a tiny of bit of tv or read a book and POOF within 20 minutes I am asleep. Needless to say, when my dinnertime comes, I am flat-out exhausted.

I thought meditation could bring some focused, centered time where I could calm down and relax. Just breathe. Just be. My body disagreed - just breathe? SLEEP TIME! I learned during my college days that I could sleep sitting up while a professor droned on and on and on (and on). That skill remains in me today. Helps during long car trips when I am not driving and can hinder me driving long distances. Sitting in my bedroom with silence around me, trying to focus on breathing...well that was a recipe for disaster. I found myself starting to nod off, so I opened my eyes and tried to wake myself up. So then my thoughts rushed in - did I pay that bill? Oh can't forget to bring diapers tomorrow. Is there another animal in our backyard? Did I get the mail? Oh shoot I forgot to text so-and-so back." On and on and on. Time to focus. Breathe in. And out. And....snooze.

I tried it again the next night, but found that the same thing happened. Moving on to exercise #2, because I'm feeling like a failure. Hopefully if I don't fall asleep, I can blog about it immediately afterwards!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Dreams Come True by Rebecca Emin

Review – Holly’s Inbox by Holly Denham (pen name for Bill Hutton Surie)

Royal Day Out: A From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess e-short by Meg Cabot